The Trump administration will delay new tariffs on some Chinese imports until mid-December after widespread complaints from businesses and exempt other items because of health, safety and national security concerns.
The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative said 10% tariffs will be postponed from an original starting date of Sept. 1 on cellphones, laptops, video game consoles, some toys, computer monitors, and certain footwear and apparel. It wasn't immediately clear which items had been excluded altogether.
The move narrows the impact of tariffs that President Trump said at the beginning of August that he would impose on a remaining $300 billion in Chinese imports that escaped tariffs so far, escalating the trade war with Beijing. Officials from the U.S. and China have been negotiating the terms of a trade deal for the last few months, but after the latest round of talks in Shanghai, the president accused China of failing to follow through on its promises to the U.S., including buying agricultural products and halting the sale of the addictive opiate fentanyl.
The U.S. currently has tariffs of 25% on $250 billion worth of Chinese products. Trump first threatened to impose duties on the rest in May after trade talks between the U.S. and Beijing fell apart, then backed down after meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Group of 20 summit in Japan in late June.