|In an excerpt from her new book out today, the Fox News host shares a blunt assessment of a man 'dismissed, ridiculed and maligned' by the 'smart people'
You would have thought that the “political experts” who failed to understand, let alone predict, the rise of Donald Trump in 2016 might have learned something by now. They haven’t. While they obsess over silly side issues that do not concern most Americans, President Trump has been methodically making stunning progress in his pledge to undo the policies of his predecessor and pursue others that are improving the lives of working men and women.
Despite the hundreds of hours of media reports about the number of times Trump played golf, staff turnover at the White House, his television viewing habits, and of course the investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller, we see that the American public is generally feeling better about the direction of the country and their own lives. It turns out that Donald Trump’s style — at times brash, unconventional, and even unpredictable — is largely irrelevant to voters who just want more control over their own lives, more money in their pockets — a shot at a better life.
By Day 500 of his presidency, Trump was the most popular Republican president among members of his own party since World War II, with the exception of George W. Bush after 9/11. The 87 percent of Republicans approving of his job performance were focusing not on cable chatter, but on some of his achievements.
Trump’s record at that point:
- Quarterbacked tax reform that saved more than 80 percent of Americans money and spurred massive job growth and investment in the United States.
- Appointed dozens of phenomenal judges to the federal courts, including Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch.
- Cut the federal payroll by 24,000 jobs.
- Eliminated 16 regulations for every one added.
- Boosted our energy sector by removing barriers to the building of the Keystone XL Pipeline.
- Historically low unemployment rates for African-Americans.
- Withdrew from the Paris climate accord.
- Repealed the Obamacare individual mandate.
- Defunded Planned Parenthood funding via Title X.
- Reinstated an expanded Mexico City policy blocking foreign aid from being used for abortions.
- Overhauled the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Enacted new protections for religious liberty.
- Cracked down on MS-13, “sanctuary cities,” and deported thousands of criminal aliens.
- Successfully renegotiated our trade deal with South Korea and began process with Mexico and Canada (the North American Free Trade Agreement).
- Reset our trade relationship with China after years of bad faith actions by the communist regime.
- Held historic talks with North Korea toward the goal of averting a nuclear showdown in the Korean Peninsula.
- Moved America’s embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, which prior presidents promised but never delivered.